Based at our Basingstoke offices this role is focused around the day to day management of our transport department. This includes ensuring transport requests are met, managing a team of drivers and ensuring compliance with legal regulations. The role would also be responsible for developing and implementing the company transport strategy along with identifying improvements in procedures and practices.
This role would suit a proactive, self-motivated individual capable of working accurately and methodically, often using their own initiative, in a constantly changing and often pressurised environment, at a fast developing company. This is a very detail driven role requiring a mix of IT knowledge, vehicle knowledge, lighting and rigging equipment knowledge and management skills.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate all of the company’s transport requirements, ensuring best use of the company fleet and resources. Match the varied and changing requirements with the resources available.
- When this may not be possible, to obtain quotes and book transport with preferred third party providers.
- Seek out, develop and maintain strong relationships with Event industry specialist trucking companies, developing the existing links and looking for further opportunities for efficiency.
- Identify, assess and evaluate additional third party providers to ensure suitability.
- Monitor vehicle maintenance and ensure that repairs and statutory checks are carried out in a timely manner whilst minimising any downtime within the fleet of vehicles.
- Proactively manage the team of drivers and other staff within the transport department.
- Proactively manage driver hours and ensure breaks and driving time regulations are adhered to and maximised.
- Ensure legal compliance across the vehicle and driver requirements.
- Manage and evaluate all direct reports identifying further training needs, shortfalls in staffing levels, overtime requirements and temporary labour needs.
- Supervise staff to ensure that all vehicles are kept clean, tidy and undamaged.
- Managing the recruitment of new team members within the transport department including recruiting, interviewing and onboarding.
- Provide key input on the development of the process and systems we use for our transport operations, IT systems, reporting, software and processes.
- Support our move to a digital workspace
- Keep all work related information confidential and acting in a professional manner at all times, in all work and industry-social situations.
- Be aware of and complying with the company Health and Safety Policy.
- Ensure that the Company’s policies, rules, procedures and obligations are observed in carrying out the above duties.
- Report key operational and financial metrics to your line manager and directors.
- Provide feedback within the immediate team and to the Reporting Line Manager of any areas of improvement, development or growth of the business identified.
- Take part in the companies on call rota
Representing the Company:
- It is vital that you deal courteously with customers, visitors, callers and the public at all times and represent the company and its reputation in an impeccable manner.
- Maintain a good level of personal appearance, dress and cleanliness.
- A generally cheerful demeanour, engaging personality and sense of humour would be a huge advantage in making a success of this role.
Skills & Qualities Required:
- Transport Manager CPC would be beneficial but training can be provided
- Experience of working with transport in the events industry would be preferable but not essential.
- Meticulous eye for detail and a passion for excellence.
- Previous experience of managing a team and workload.
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to respond to short-notice changes in working hours and schedules.
- Calm demeanour with a can do attitude. Able to handle pressure.
- Excellent communication / interpersonal skills.
- Good IT knowledge with a working knowledge of Google, Microsoft with the ability to use email, spreadsheets etc.
- Fluent in English and an ability to understand and follow instructions
- The ability to work as a member of a team and to provide and receive input from other team members is vital.
The above list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be exhaustive. Employees are expected to adopt additional tasks when required. These tasks will be in keeping with the general profile of the role.